The Breeders Connection Boards
TBC Sale Ring     TBC Chat Room     TBC Directory

Go Back   The Breeders Connection Boards > The Breeder's Connection > The Breeder's Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
jefflee
Gold Member

jefflee is on a distinguished road
Default LEE RIDERS Clown Baggies

I know there are some rodeo clown historians here on TBC, I have a pair of nearly mint condition LEE RIDERS clown pants that I acquired from another bullfighter about 12 years ago. The young man had no idea what they were and didn't want them cause they didn't say "WRANGLER" on them. I held my excitement and took them with great delight.
What I am trying to find are some pictures of clowns in action with them on for my collection. I know John Brogan wore a pair as a bullfighter, but its hard to find old pictures of rodeo clowns wearing these. I know Lee Riders clown pants were first started in the late 50s early 60s. Any help is welcome! Thanks. You can check them out at this link, they are the real deal. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=ef69443856
jefflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
7lazy77
Gold Member

7lazy77 is on a distinguished road

I will have to check all my old pics & see if I have any. I know some of the pics I have are even older pics with the clowns wearing Blue Bell jean/baggies.
7lazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
JustinCrawford
Breeder's Connection Junkie

JustinCrawford is on a distinguished road

jeff John wore a pair of the old WRANGLER baggies that didnt have the blue yellow patch but the wrangler sewn on his baggies. I had a pair of the old LEE RIDER baggies that i had gotten from my grandma that wore them back in the day clowning rodeos, my dad wore them, and i wore them until they got stole out of my bag several years ago. I dont know what they would be worth, but i saw a pair of the old wrangler blue bell baggies sell on ebay about a month ago for around $500
JustinCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
jefflee
Gold Member

There are a pair of wrangler blue bell's on ebay right now asking 10K!!!! http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=rod....c0.m270.l1313

My understanding was that wrangler blue bell came along to rodeo after Lee, Lee was actual the first jean to take interest in rodeo and sponsored cowboys like Casey Tibbs. Lee clown jeans were some of the first ever used by a jean company to promote it's brand to the rodeo audience. Wrangler Blue Bell quickly took note but wasn't the first to market to the rodeo audience.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
BullPuncher
Gold Member

BullPuncher is on a distinguished road

I had two of each pair at one time. I received them directly from the company's simply by sending them some pictures and asking. I asked for two pair incase the arena was muddy so I'd have a clean pair the next day. It took awhile to get the Lee pants, cause they had to "find them", but they did eventually come. They seemed quite suprised that I was asking, because this was during the era when everything was Wrangler. I rarely wore them and eventually gave them away. According to the prices on those Ebay auctions, that was a pretty dumb thing to do. I also received several "clown" shirts from Lee over the years, some were gifts for working certain rodeo's. Most were eventually torn up by bulls or fences, but they were nice shirts.
BullPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
jefflee
Gold Member

My father sent me some photos of Lecile Harris fighting bulls in Lee Riders. Very neat to see!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
c4bucknbulls

c4bucknbulls is on a distinguished road

It is very ironic that I read this post Saturday morning and the rodeo I was at that evening the barrel man was wearing a pair of Lee Rider baggies. I knew him as a friend and called him over and questioned him about them. He said they were original Lee Riders he got from an ex bullfighter/clown while he worked at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and he even showed me the tag. They were for sure ORIGINAL. We got to talking and he said he collects baggies and has the Lee Riders, a pair of Levi's with the red patch on the butt (I think they were Levi's but I could be wrong) and he also said he has two pair of Wrangler Blue Bell baggies as well. I tell ya what, by the sounds of reading around of classic baggies, he has some extreme value sittin in his collection! I thought I would share.
c4bucknbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
jefflee
Gold Member

That was pretty cool to hear. I had a pair of levi's with a large denim patch sewn in the butt. I had an old timer tell me that levi did that for the squib pant loads so they wouldn't wear out. The levi's I had didn't have the classic big red tag on the side of the leg though.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Platinum Pistol

Platinum Pistol is on a distinguished road

How bout some of the classic old bandanas? I know that some old rodeos and brands had some special bandanas that went to rodeos and wound up on many a clown's baggies.

I have a bright yellow Crooked Nose bandana that was a gift from an old timer when I helped his crippled butt work his clown act ;-) What a great guy.
Platinum Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links