The Breeders Connection Boards
TBC Sale Ring     TBC Chat Room     TBC Directory

Go Back   The Breeders Connection Boards > The Breeder's Connection > The Breeder's Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Swinging C Cattle Co.
Breeder's Connection Junkie

Swinging C Cattle Co. is on a distinguished road
Default DOT requirements on 1ton farm trucks, CDL's,Health cards, ect

Just wondering what states are getting strict on DOT rules, like requiring CDL's to drive 1tons pulling combination(truck/gooseneck trailer) rated over 26,001 lbs, requiring health cards for 10,000 lbs & over rated GVW, US dot numbers on side of 1tons that are farm registered & log books ??? It is not bad in north Texas yet, but I am hearing that parts of Ok are getting strict on 1 ton farm registered trucks. I have also heard about a Oklahoma bull contractor that was pulled over in Nebraska and told he would have to find someone with a CDL to drive the 1 ton ford truck pulling an aluminum gooseneck with 6 bulls inside. I have Class A CDL & a health card, but I dont have US Dot #'s on the sides of my 1 ton trucks.

Last edited by Swinging C Cattle Co. : 03-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Swinging C Cattle Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Travis Eckroth

Travis Eckroth is on a distinguished road

and log books.

I got pulled over once in KS, cop asked me for everything from log book to health papers for the cattle in the trailer, he messed around 30 min.'s looking thru all that I gave him, he must have gotten confused because I always have everything needed, except a log book, this is 5am and I've been driving for like 14 hrs already, I told him he was gonna have to show me how to fill one out, he laughed and then gave me a warning and sent me on my way!!

Travis Eckroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
BuckinHeifers08

BuckinHeifers08 is on a distinguished road

Theyre really starting to crack down... Not so much on the DOT number but the CDL and Health card is a must nowadays...
Keeping the trucks plain and not lettering them up and putting stickers all over them helps a bunch, theyre more apt to pull over someone w/ stickers everywhere than Joe blow with a plain white truck and trailer..
I can name 3 contractors just last year that got in trouble (logbooks, CDL, Healthcard) while hauling to the BFTS

BUT, a DOT # and NOT FOR HIRE goes a long way...
BuckinHeifers08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
mike carreon

mike carreon is on a distinguished road

Heck as of March 1 in PA, we have to have a med card, be at least 18, and keep a log book to drive a tractor! Doesn't make much sense to me if you can leagally drive a pick up why you couldn't drive a tractor? As to your ? Casey yes anything over 26k that produces income you need #'s, med card, logbook, etc. You can put farm plates on here with proof of income BUT you better not get caught hauling anything for someone else. Like JD said makes life easier if you don't advertise a bunch.
mike carreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
JustinCrawford

JustinCrawford is on a distinguished road

OK got strict on it after tx kept hounding them about it and Tx isnt very strict on it, YET!!!!
JustinCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
kainrodeo
Gold Member

kainrodeo is on a distinguished road

Iowa has been like that for about 5 years now. Need CDL, health papers, logbook and as of this year DOT numbers on the side and your company name.
kainrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Swinging C Cattle Co.

Swinging C Cattle Co. is on a distinguished road

Im not talking about Commercial use tractor/trailers, Im talking about farm tagged 1 ton dually's with gooseneck farm registered trailers being required to have US DOT #'s, health cards, class A CDL & log books. It is pretty dumb to require a CDL in a 1 ton truck, a friend of mine went to the drivers license office to take the CDL test in a 1 ton pick-up with a trailer after recieving a ticket for no CDL in the 1 ton farm registered. He was told he could not take the test in a 1 ton truck, had to be a larger truck to take the test ????
Swinging C Cattle Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
payetteriverrodeo
Gold Member

payetteriverrodeo is on a distinguished road

It might have something to do with it being a combonation vehicle, which requires a CDL if over so many pounds. this varies with each state, I know it is a pain but its all goverment trying to get more money out of everyday people trying to make a living in this new world of HOPE and CHANGE

Dave
payetteriverrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
JustinCrawford

JustinCrawford is on a distinguished road

Casey u can take the CDL test in a 1ton truck and trailer. I know a few ppeople who have done it and recently.
JustinCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
kainrodeo
Gold Member

kainrodeo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinging C Cattle Co. View Post
Im not talking about Commercial use tractor/trailers, Im talking about farm tagged 1 ton dually's with gooseneck farm registered trailers being required to have US DOT #'s, health cards, class A CDL & log books. It is pretty dumb to require a CDL in a 1 ton truck, a friend of mine went to the drivers license office to take the CDL test in a 1 ton pick-up with a trailer after recieving a ticket for no CDL in the 1 ton farm registered. He was told he could not take the test in a 1 ton truck, had to be a larger truck to take the test ????
We are not required to have a name on the side but I think you have to have the number. In Iowa you cant register a truck as a farm vehicle. Dont know why but thats the way it is. I also thought that if you went for a class C CDL you could use a pickup and trailer, (as long as it passed inspection). A class A CDL I think intails testing for combination vehicles with air brakes I might be wrong but thats what I thought. I just aquired my CDL and went through all this stuff. I too think it is rediculous that they require a CDL for pickups and trailers
kainrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links