PDA

View Full Version : Cow with big teets???

rodeostockyard.com
05-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Can a cow ,from one year to the next, grow a big utter?

I bought a cow from a guy and he never said anything about the cow having bad utters. They look too big for the calf to suck on them. She is still about a week or two out from calving.

Is this something that the cow is born with or does this just happen? Thanks

BAL
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM
In my experience it is a gradual thing over time as the cow ages, but some cows are more prone to it. It is a culling factor for me and I tend to avoid heifers from cows with bad udders seems to be genetic to me.

BuckinHeifers08
05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
It is genetic... Alot of breeders breed small teets into their herd! But yes, time is a factor...

VidaleMcCracken
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I got a cow with two big teets, wouldnt cull her for the world. Could be a genetic trait that could pass but hasnt yet, I will take that chance. She produces and thats all I care. I get her up about calving time and make sure the calf gets milk the first few days and from there on out everything is fine. She has been this way for at least 6 or 7 years.

Bullet
05-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Is it the front two or all four? If it is the front ones just keep an eye on her and after she has her calf let the calf suck, he should find the right one and after a day or so drain the front 2 if possible. We have one now (registered hereford) that is that way. Load her in the shoot and drain the front ones down and clean them real good and turn her out the calf should keep it suck down. Good Luck

diamondj
05-07-2008, 07:40 PM
It's most common in Brahman influenced cattle. And they do get worse as they get older.

billsummers
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I have one like Vidale's. I always get concerned but she never has a problem and her Daughters show no sign of a problem. I wont cull her either, because she produces. In fact I was considering turning her into a flush cow.

socattleco
05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
You can always if run her in a chute and milk her tits down.Ive had those a bunch of times most of the time theres one the calf can latch onto and get plenty of milk...Theres a diffrence in a cow with a bad bag and a cow with big tits.

Bullgal 131
05-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I bought a hereford/ brahman cross cow 5 yrs. ago that had big teets. She had a heifer calf on her side when I bought her but the teets didn't look too bad at the time. The next year she had a set of twin heifers. I bottle raised them due to the fact her teets were really big and her bag was low to the ground. She was just too wild to get up and be able to help her out. I let her calve the next year and she had another heifer, I also raised it on the bottle. I sold the cow that following spring, she was just a 5 yr. old.
The heifer that was on her side when I bought her has raised 3 calves so far and her teets are small. She had twins herself last year, they are just yearlings and am hoping their teets stay small as well.
The heifer twins I had raised on the bottle have both had calves, one has small teets while the other twin has larger ones, but they aren't a problem as of yet. I do have a heifer out of one of the twins that is due to calve in the next couple of days and her teets are small as well with a full bag. As far as the other heifer I had raised on a bottle she calved last month and her teets are a little long but small. It is a hereditary trait, but sometimes it doesn't always pass on to the next generation. So far so good here with all of them cow's daughters and granddaughters.

j007
05-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I got a 4 year old cow the two front teets were large the two back normal but calf started out on back two and is on all 4 now no problems.

Ty Rinaldo
05-07-2008, 11:08 PM
You can always if run her in a chute and milk her tits down.Ive had those a bunch of times most of the time theres one the calf can latch onto and get plenty of milk...Theres a diffrence in a cow with a bad bag and a cow with big tits.

I have a cow with big teets. Never had to milk her and Lord I hope she doesn't read this post. He He..........:D

socattleco
05-07-2008, 11:33 PM
:rofl:

Cody
05-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I have a three year old cow that just had her first calf, and her back two teets were large. so I ran her in and milked them after that the calve has been keeping them down

rodeostockyard.com
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. Its just he front 2 so we will watch close to make sure the calf find the hind ones. Hope we don't have to milk this one!!! She might tear down the barn!!!:omg:

cowmomma
05-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Our herd queen Red Baroness who does have a fair amount of Brahma in her has always made a big bagful of milk and has large teets on all four quadrants. It has never been a problem though. Calves have always been 60 plus pounds and have longer faces so able to latch on and nurse.

She is really aggressive about getting them up and pushing them on to feed as soon as she delivers them from her first born bull calf.

Sultan of Siroccco is our third calf, second bull out of her and all of her babies have been fantastic so I'd never part with her. She rules the pasture, can throw anyone else over the fence with a toss of her head if they piss her off, but I can brush her from stem to stern. Can't milk her though.

I can comb out her tail switch but can't put bag balm on those big teets in the dead of winter. Her last two calves have come out still in the sac and she has allowed Dan and I to help her get them breathing and dried off. She is my baby, all probably 1200 pounds of her, and I would never ever part with this gal.

So, I'd say it all depends on the cow but not usually a problem. I'd think too small teets would be more of a problem.

Eileen

Single R Rodeo Cattle
05-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I had a big brangus heifer I AI'd to Erkle at about 18 months old. She had a heifer calf that gave me a couple of nice calves.
The next year I AI'd the brangus cow to Gunslinger. You could get his semen for $250 or $300/stw back in them days from Buckers Inc. I had to grunt to produce the money to buy 2 straws at that price.
Anyway, she had another heifer calf. That year her bag got real big and the teets on all four quadrants were B. I. G. The calf couldn't get her mouth over 'em. I milked her and milked her and they wouldn't go down. The heifer calf died within two weeks.
Well, I bred her back to A13. Same bag and teets this time. I milked and milked again. That heifer calf lived two weeks and died. I sold the cow after that.....she weighed 1300 pounds when I hauled her to the sale barn....
In 20/20 hind sight, I would have been more diligent with a bottle if I'd known what a straw of Gunslinger (or A13 for that matter) was going to be worth these days....... oh well, that's the breaks.

Ty Rinaldo
05-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I have a cow with big teets. Never had to milk her and Lord I hope she doesn't read this post. He He..........:D

Nice, real nice... you'd better hope you don't come down with MAD COW DISEASE! Your loving ol' cow:nana:

bullfrog
05-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Nice, real nice... you'd better hope you don't come down with MAD COW DISEASE! Your loving ol' cow:nana:

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/3384.gif.http://www.pic4ever.com/images/funny.gif.....

MPB
05-09-2008, 02:20 PM
It's not an age thing. I had a heifer coming with her first calf that had big teats. IMO it is a culling issue, when I gather my cow herd this weekend, she's going to the sale barn as a kill cow. If the momma can't raise her calf on her own, I don't need her. And, I'm definately not gonna pass her on to someone else, because that's happened to me before.

Adam H. Montgomery
Montgomery Power Bulls
www.montgomerypowerbulls.com
Harrodsburg, KY
859-583-1560

rodeostockyard.com
05-09-2008, 07:09 PM
she had the calf today!!! well see

Rattler
05-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Houdini daughter and a Whitewater Skoal son calf...can't be that bad Wes....She never had BIG utters when I had her...I have some cows that have bigger utters than other but the calves always take car of them....have had some cross bred cows that teats get bigger with age but as long as the calve can suck one or two then they'll get the biggers ones sucked down in just a few days.....never said anything about her having large teats cause she never did with me...could have something to do with feed, she always just ran on grass here ....put a cow on grain or really great feed and they'll produce more milk....and thus larger bags.....let me know what she had.

bushrat
05-10-2008, 02:11 AM

sounds like Ty's gonna be camped out with the cows for awhile lol:rofl:

bushrat
05-10-2008, 02:14 AM
It's not an age thing. I had a heifer coming with her first calf that had big teats. IMO it is a culling issue, when I gather my cow herd this weekend, she's going to the sale barn as a kill cow. If the momma can't raise her calf on her own, I don't need her. And, I'm definately not gonna pass her on to someone else, because that's happened to me before.

Adam H. Montgomery
Montgomery Power Bulls
www.montgomerypowerbulls.com
Harrodsburg, KY
859-583-1560

We had an ol' beef cow that we raised, her first two calves, she had a huge bag nd teets, then after that we never had a problem.....sold her finally when she was 14 years old, and other than the first two years, her bag was perfect.I think a lot of it has to do with the feed

Ty Rinaldo
05-10-2008, 08:33 AM
sounds like Ty's gonna be camped out with the cows for awhile lol:rofl:

She's not happy with me that's for sure. My beautiful wife of 16 years competes in fitness competitions. Her arms are more muscular than my legs. Go to www.tyrinaldo.com and look at the home page. :yikes: Adios........

rodeostockyard.com
05-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Here is what they look like! Ouch!!!!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff253/rodeostockyard/IMGA0019.jpg