PDA

View Full Version : Bull losing hair

Rafter Bar J
01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I live in michigan so i dont know if the weather is doing it or what, but I have a bull that is loosing hair all over his body. He is the only one that is doing it. He has shelter to get out of the wind, he has been wormed. He has not lost his appetite and he is still drinking and moving around. If you have any input i would greatly appriciate it

jeremy

Summerrain
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Jeremy found this information,

Chorioptic mange appears in cattle as dermatitis, hair loss, and scabbed areas on the hooves, legs and tailhead. Populations increase in the fall, with the most severe problems occurring in winter.7 Sarcoptic mange, also known as scabies, can be a more serious problem. These mange mites on cattle burrow deeply into the skin, causing serious lesions on the tail, udder, legs and hooves.
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.asp?contentid=162711

Wild Boyz Bucking Bulls
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
my dads breeding bull did that last year and i told the vet about it because i thought it was mites but the vet said it wasnt mites it was because he had been in the mud and the mud balls that were hanging on his hair pulled the hair off which made lose his hair i dont know if that could be the problem or not

Rafter Bar J
01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
thank you very much ma'am I appriciate it very much

jeremy

Rafter Bar J
01-29-2008, 06:56 PM
This is on the top of his back not where the mud is. But thanks for the advice

jeremy

Danton Bucking Bulls
01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I love this site. I was just wondering the exact same thing myself. In the last two weeks I've noticed my calves and now some of my cows loosing hair on their necks. Necks only. I am feeding them in a round bail feeder so I thought that it might be that the calves are being pushed around agaist some edges where the different pieces of the round bail feeder come together. I checked and they arn't very sharp so I ws going to watch it closer. Now the cows are showing it as well. I will check into this potential option (Sarcoptic (head and neck).

Thanks

diamondj
01-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Jeremy and Dave i bet they have lice. They usually show this time of year. Pour some ivomec on them.

Lostroh
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
:yeahthat:Works for me

Rafter Bar J
01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
thanks guys I will try that tomorrow

thanks again

jeremy

Danton Bucking Bulls
01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I guess I know what I'm doing Saturday. Thanks Jeff.

ronefx
01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
i was gonna say sounds like lice.

BuckingStockBroker
01-29-2008, 07:31 PM
If the calf had a high fever a few days back that could be the cause. When they get a high fever their hair will quit growing and then when it starts growing again there is a weak spot in the hair. Once it passes out of the skin it will break off and make them look like they are going to loose all of their hair. This could be one of several possibilities. It has happened to me.

manncreekniece
01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
My old time rancher dad says that they're lousy (lice) in the winter time when they start losing hair around their necks and such. We ivomec ours in the Spring, but most of them seem to clear up as soon as they hit green grass before we get a chance to treat them.

JUSTACOWGIRL
01-30-2008, 08:54 AM
IT COULD BE FUNGAL, OUR BULLS DEVELOPED IT LAST YEAR RIGHT BEFORE SPRING, WE JUST PUT A TOPICAL FUNGICIDE ON THEM AND IT SEEMED TO DO THE JOB.

yatahey
01-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Jeff
I could not agree more. Lice is most likely the situation and ivomec is the solution. Had this happen to me last winter Jeremy and we ivemec the calves and problem left. Lice that are alive must stay warm too.

Brian Gifford
01-30-2008, 09:23 AM
You can also pour on used motor oil. It doesn't take a big amount- about a quart or 2. Pour it down over head (keep it out of the eyes), down the back and a little heavier around the tail area.

The animal will look a bit messy but it won't hurt a thing. It'll kill the lice and won't cost a dime.

We get the lice every year around Jan-March. We use motor oil unless we are hauling something (the oil gets all over the trailer and bull riders don't much care to get on an oiled up/dusty bull).

Leftlane
01-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Brian,
Had a friend get mange(sp?) or lice on his arms from trapping coyotes (he harvested the claws and skulls for the Indian artists even when the animal's hide was no good)
He used motor oil and it cleared up w/i the same week.

Also knocks the heck out of ring worms (don't ask me how I know...)

yatahey
01-30-2008, 01:09 PM
so is your bath oil new or used Marlin!!!!!! From your foul smell I would say it is used......
:party::party::party: :shooting::shooting::shooting::shooting::shooting:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Summerrain
01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Now we know who to send our used motor oil to instead of having to dispose of it at one of those centers, just send it to Marlinhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/bb8.gif
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif

Diamond E Bucking Bulls
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I have a bull that his hair is falling out also. It is up high on his sides almost to his back.

Steelman
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
IT COULD BE FUNGAL, OUR BULLS DEVELOPED IT LAST YEAR RIGHT BEFORE SPRING, WE JUST PUT A TOPICAL FUNGICIDE ON THEM AND IT SEEMED TO DO THE JOB.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
I had the same thing few years ago. Vet told me it was a fungus that gets on your place, not much you can do about it. The calfs will out grow it and it will go away on its own by time they are yearlings. I had it in all my calfs for about 3 years then it just went away. Havent had it in about 3 years now.

joe shaw
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Jeremy and Dave i bet they have lice. They usually show this time of year. Pour some ivomec on them.

I agree that ivomec's good stuff pricey up here but works great

BILLY D
02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I HAVE A COW THAT HER HAIR IS THINNING OUT ON HER EARS TO WHERE YOU CAN SEE A LITTLE OF THE SKIN AND SHE HAS 1 BALD SPOT UNDER HER JAW LINE THAT IS GRAY NONE OF THE OTHER COWS HAVE THIS WHAT WOULD THIS BE THANKS

BILLYD
JACKSON,TN
731-697-3124

Leftlane
02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
so is your bath oil new or used Marlin!!!!!! From your foul smell I would say it is used......

Shane,
You are a funny guy, but just remember: Looks aren't everything!! :pieface:

A&E Rodeo Bulls
02-04-2009, 12:04 AM
I would recomend you pour everything everyyear when you bring them off grass in the fall. You don't have to use brand name like Ivomec, as the cheaper generic stuff works fine and for 60-80 dollars you can do 70-80 head. The feedlot we use does not allow anything dropped off unless it's poured first and you pull through there and with thousands of head standing around you won't find a lousy one!

Shane Adams
02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Tosh and some others are right. Lice is common in late winter. Just use ivermectin pour on. Ivomec, Dectomax, all kinds. Jeffer's Livestock had some off brand stuff for sale online last year. Same thing as the rest, 1% ivermectin. It was like $60 for a 5 liter jug. The same thing in Ivomec or Dectomax would be like $320.

BullHorne
02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
With this winter everybody is having I am wondering if more people are going to see this. I was under the impression that every region dealt with lice and mange and ivermec or iveron or ivercare or iver-something. Up here its twice a year. Pour in the early spring (march) and fall (end of sept.). Every year theres always a couple that start slipping hair right about now. Noticed it in my first bull of the year just this weekend. Clears up in about 10 days after they are poured.

Travis Eckroth
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
also you can cut back 10-15% from the recommended dose of Ivomec, or the generic kind, or Dectomax and still get the same results, just costs a lil bit less.
Been doing this for years and never had a problem with the pour on not working.

jambull
02-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I WOULD CALL O'L BAR L i BET HE CAN FIX IT!:nana:

SUGAR
02-04-2009, 03:34 PM
If the pour on or injectible ivermectin is not working, it is most likely ringworm rather than mange or lice.

Also as some have noted, ringworm is a fungus and "not" an actual worm. That is why ivermectin doesn't work on it.

We have had a lot of it out here this year. When it is wet and foggy it gets bad. Mostly because without sunlight, fungus' goes wild. Cattle that have ringworm usually only get it when they are young, however it is not true that they won't get it again once they have had it once like some say. (think athlete's foot on this one)

There will be round patches without hair usually on face, head, neck and front part of the body. They spread it around (it is contagious) from hooking each other, butting heads, rubbing on each other (because it does itch) and because it can live on surfaces, they can get it off fences, panels, chutes, flanks, feed bunks, trailers etc. again cause they want to rub.

There are times when I have seen it on other parts of the body. If their hair has been wet, and damp a lot, and you have not had daily sun it can run through your cattle like crazy. The patches usually look grayish like what Billy D has going on and are round. As far as identifying it black cattle will usually have gray spots, white cattle pink.There are many different strains of it so it can vary in appearance. Also some products work on some strains and not others.

There are several things you can do to help, but unless you plan on bleaching everything from here to the moon, it will always be on your place. Sometimes it will be very active for several years in a row and then you'll go several years with no problems. The best remedy is nutrition since it pops up in compromised immune systems. Nutrition, stress, illness etc. can bring it on.

So, if you've had it in the past prepare ahead and if you use a mineral make sure it has EDDI in it. This will help prevent outbreaks from the start on most cattle most of the time. Also if you put out loose salt or salt blocks make sure they have sulfur in them. (easy to spot-they are yellow)

If you only have one or two animals or if you are taking them somewhere like an event where they could pass it on and you want it cleared up fast, run them in and give them sulphur bolus' like Albon or Sustain, and an injectible vit/mineral that contains Vit A (helps the skin heal faster). If you have time and can, scrub the lesions with a wire brush or very stiff brush and apply any of the following products making sure you go about 1/2" beyond visible hair loss since the fungus is most active on the outer edges of the bald patches:

7% Iodine
Apple Cider Vinegar (my choice)
Fluid Film (carborator cleaner) (contains carcinogenic)
Motor Oil (contains carcinogenic)
WD-40 (contains carcinogenic)
Captan powder (rose dust for mildew) (contains carcinogenic-be careful not to inhale it)
Blue Star Ointment
1:3 Bleach and Water (watch this since bleach will make metal rust)
toothpaste (as a last resort if you don't have any of the above)

Hope this helps if you have no luck with the pour on.

Rebel_V
02-04-2009, 04:28 PM
i was gonna say lice too, had that problem in some horses at a friend's house this summer....the lice can stay in the round bales and hatch from the warmth of the animals that huddle around them from what a vet told my friend.

Apple cider vinegar is a great thing to add in their water to keep them healthy and hydrated...i do it in the summer more so than the winter cause we break ice constantly in the winter and i dont want to be throwing all the apple cider vinegar out with the ice. It helps keep a lot of fungus and critters you dont want away too!

bkrodeoranch
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
If none of these rmrdies work,you might want to draw blood.Hair loss can also be attributed to a Thyroid problem,if it is ask the vet for some Thyzene