PDA

View Full Version : Guns for injection meds

Southern Buckers
10-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Has anyone ever used or have some type of gun to administer injections to their cattle. I think the one I saw was like a crossbow and the needle would stay in the cow till it injected all the medication. I thought I saw a post on here sometime before but could not find it. If anyone has one or knows anything about them please drop a lineon here for me. Thanks in advance.

Summerrain
10-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Dustin
I found this site with Balling guns for meds for cattle, not sure if thats what your talking about

http://www.enasco.com/product/C15627N

chwyatt
10-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Here's what I have and it works great:

http://shop.pneudart.com/products/Model_178B_Air-6-3.html

Shane Adams
10-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Pnuedart or Cap-Chur charge.. I have a cap-chur..It uses 22 blanks. Both are good.

Raven
10-17-2009, 09:30 PM
This is what we use and love it. Medi-Dart crossbow and the needle stays in until injected. You can administer alot of cc's at one time, use for IM or SubQ injections. Great for low stress injections, you don't have to rope the cattle or get them into a chute to give an injection.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/medidart/

Shane Adams
10-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Watched the video on that link. I can't get that close to some of them. I like the way the dart works though.

Raven
10-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Watched the video on that link. I can't get that close to some of them. I like the way the dart works though.

LOL, you need a faster pickup Shane?

Shane Adams
10-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Hey, I did shoot one out of the truck going about 55 down a split 4 lane. Jay Henderson had a few we were trying to pen and one got through the fence, went through some flooded timber, and got out on a VERY busy highway. You would think that people would slow down once they saw a cow running down the road. Anyhow, I jumped in his truck and hazed her off the road then shot her, at about 20 yards, with a dart out the passenger window while driving. I would have shot her with a real gun if I had of had one with me. Could have been bad. I could just see one of them Memphis idiots hitting her head on. I thought Jay was gonna puke.

bittersweet
10-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey, I did shoot one out of the truck going about 55 down a split 4 lane. Jay Henderson had a few we were trying to pen and one got through the fence, went through some flooded timber, and got out on a VERY busy highway. You would think that people would slow down once they saw a cow running down the road. Anyhow, I jumped in his truck and hazed her off the road then shot her, at about 20 yards, with a dart out the passenger window while driving. I would have shot her with a real gun if I had of had one with me. Could have been bad. I could just see one of them Memphis idiots hitting her head on. I thought Jay was gonna puke.

Ah Ha! Now I know how you got your bride..you darted her..and it was a done deal by the time she woke up! :)

Shane Adams
10-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I had papers on her by time she woke up!

Chad Brinkley
10-19-2009, 09:03 AM

Shane, do you use your gun to inject medication or just to tranqualize(sp?)

Shane Adams
10-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Just for tranq....If they are sick or I am vac then I just get them up...The ignorant ones never get hurt, it always the easy ones.

Travis Eckroth
10-19-2009, 12:37 PM
best $ I ever spent.
http://www.livestockconcepts.com/1257-pneu-dart-air-rifle-178b.html

use for lots of diff. shots in many diff. cattle or horses, tranq., and meds

rebelrodeobulls
10-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I have the same gun that Shane has and its worked for about 10 yrs .When I am horse back and can ride into them I also use a long-shot telescopit shaft with a 30cc syringe good for upto 10 ft. for med. and downing one its safer because my horse don't like guns

Chad Brinkley
10-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I have a gun and have used it about 6-8 times, How much medicine does everybody put in per pound of body weight?

Shane Adams
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
What kind of med? Rompum? I used to put in 5cc but I have found that with these rodeo cows, 5cc has NEVER brought one down. Heck, I had 15cc in one and she never did go down. Now I start with 7.

Chad Brinkley
10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
It is called Xyla-Ject. my dart casings will only hold 3cc's and I cant figure out how much to put in each time. One time 3cc's will put a 1800lb. bull out for hours and the next time it will take 9cc's to put a 600lb. heifer down.

rebelrodeobulls
10-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Chad i have been darting for a few years and found out that 2 cc of ace and 1 of rompum and don't run them let lay down and in 30 min their in the trailer
SHANE 15 you got to be kiding rompum used alone is the problem The 6E ranch here in TX darts 50 or more head a year with this same dosage and thier bulls are crazy. and they run them over 40,000 ac. try puting ace with it next time

Shane Adams
10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I am not sure exactly how it works. Figured it might be like my kids and benadril. It knocks my boys out cold and my 3 yr old girl will act like a freakin cartoon character running around wide open bouncing off stuff. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!:omg:

Chad Brinkley
10-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. One more question. How do you get them in the trailer after they go down. I know we have done it several ways. This past weekend I shot one and run a rope through the front of the trailer and tied it to my pickup and when he finally half way woke up I pulled him in the trailer.

Shane Adams
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I'll try the Ace - Rompum mix and see what happens next time Lee. Never have been told that one. I do know that the rompum comes in different strengths, I have always got as stout of a batch as the vet would let me have.

I had an old wolfman cow that was wild as hell. She would go to jumpin fences if she even seen you pen another cow. I gave her 5cc, left her alone for over 45 min and she never even looked fazed, gave her 5cc more later, she got wobbly but never would go down, hit her with 5cc more and she finally went down but when we tried to rope her she seen us and got up and took off. I finally just set a trap for her and caught her.

Travis Eckroth
10-21-2009, 10:18 AM
a friend of mine gave a bull 26 cc's of rompum to put a ring in the bulls nose and before he got the ring in, the bull really tore everything up and hooked everyone, had to give him more and wait quite a while for him to go down to finish putting the ring in

rebelrodeobulls
10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Shane,theres one thats faster to knock down KETAMINE(sp) with ace but it stops the breathing.I used it once and had to jump up and down on a big cow to jump start her back to life don't want to do that again.

AtkinsBC
10-21-2009, 06:22 PM
you gotta use the mixture of the two....its always worked on my wild ones....main thing is to try and not get them really worked up before or right after you dart them.....if they get really stressed they release "cortisol" (spelling) which is the antidote for the meds.....and it won't work very well!!!