PDA

View Full Version : "Real" Bullriders From The Past?

Green Valley
12-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Back in the day there was a wild bunch of guys that would get on anything, anytime, for practically nothing to gain but the satisfaction of knowing they did it. Some made the "Big Time", and others didn't, but they all had the same drive and determination for that adrenaline rush that you only experience getting on an 1800 pound chute fighting beast with horns sharp enough to drive through plywood. And did I mention, "No Vest". There were some great lifesavers out there, such as Dobbs, Hare, Voss, and Coffey.
But those guys weren't at all the punkin' pullins and jackpots all over the country, so most people were stuck with anyone that could be talked into getting out there. Most of the time it was a boozed up ex-bullrider or someone wanting to impress the "Buckle Bunnies". If you know one of these "Cowboys That Rode Bulls", post a story...
Bobby

Brian Gifford
12-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Chuck Simonson, Jim Leatherberry, Junior Johnstone-bronc rider, Scott Bredding, Hugh Connolly-bronc rider, JJ Butler-bronc rider- lots of them of them have been around!

hairy
12-24-2008, 04:09 PM
The 50s was the time , South Louisiana was the place.

Uncle Hairy:party:

HGS
12-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Bobby, you might like the book, A "CENTURY OF COWBOYS", NOT JUST BULL RIDERS BUT RODEO COWBOYS, WELL KNOWN AND NOT SO KNOW. DEANO@SWTEXAS.NET HS

Zip
12-24-2008, 04:31 PM

:iagree:

hard eight
12-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I LIVE IN STEPHENVILLE, TEXAS.!!! WHERE DO I START !!

HGS
12-24-2008, 05:58 PM
"THE UNSUNG HEROES" HS

Green Valley
12-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Just a few come to mind {most from Texas}...Andy Carey, Ricky Lindsey, Wolf Turner, James Stone, Bubba Goudeaux, JJ, Gene Lyda, Don Tadolini, Bill Kissinger, Dutch and Chris Norman, Dude Davis, George Conrad, Barry Bunch, Oscar Garcia, Roger Pack, Alan Coudej {Coojay},...

Does anyone remember Bar 1 Bar Arena, Circle 8, The Round Up, Cypress ...?

Thanks Howard for the book info... Bobby

bucknbrindles
12-24-2008, 11:59 PM
ronnie allen

HGS
12-25-2008, 12:08 AM
The Elms boys, Lynn & Glen Crider, Johnny Clark, George Haynes, Jack Wiseman, Arnold and Glen Byrd, Mike Bandy, John Stokes HS

HGS
12-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Bobby, did you ever see Lyda spur one with both feet at the same time? HS

rileysamford
12-25-2008, 05:06 AM
kent cox & kyle ham, don't remember much. but dad said they would get on whatever you could get in there. my role models.

artman182
12-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Check out the book Gold Buckle: The Grand Obsession of Rodeo Bull Riders by Jeff Coplon. It's really cool. Profiles some of the older guys, Don Kish and Wolfman. It also talks about Lane Frost and Red Rock.

Arthur

woody
12-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Gary Toole, Ricky Lindsy.

Woody

woody
12-25-2008, 10:46 AM
oh yea Zip was pretty handey too. Hes old :popcorn:

Woody

Green Valley
12-25-2008, 11:29 AM
L.C. Mitchell...Cypress, Texas Area, Nicky Wheeler, Rodney Dishman, Myrtis Dightman{Wow},
J.W. Coop, Junior Bonner, {Sorry, Just had to ad those two}

Howard, Never saw Lyda in person...Heard he could "Texas Two Foot" with the best of them.

rebelrodeobulls
12-25-2008, 11:50 AM
I saw Gene spur 1 at Albuquerque from the gut to almost to the hand hold and when the bull reversed it he still kelp spuring with same foot only now it was on the inside if they would have had the clocks of today it would have been a goaround win instead of a 7 second ride.
I have a film of his son Casey on a bull at Camron Tx 10 years ago spuring one just like his dad did.Must be in the DNA

BullPuncher
12-25-2008, 11:51 AM
From my part of the country Terry Clays fits right into that description. Absolutely feerless, he'd get on anything no matter what its reputation, and probably spur the hair off it. Contractors hated him, bulls feared him, and women loved him.

Some others that come to mind are Shorty Dorwieller (sp?) door-why-ler), Steve Pojonowski, Charlie and Paul Weiderholt.

Jerry Weinberger will also fit that mold, as will a couple of his boys.

Mark and Luke Kuhn could and would ride anything you'd run under em. Luke had more talent then any of em, but it was a talent that never seemed to be fully applied.

Back in the late 70's we had a family of rough stock riders around here. The Connelys were Bud JR, Brian, Joe, and Jimmy. Meaner then rattlesnakes they'd fight at the drop of a hat. Fearless and nuts, they'd ride a Saber-Tooth if you'd run one in. I think they'r out in the Dickenson, ND area now.

Green Valley
12-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Robert Blandford !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelcy Salisbury
12-25-2008, 04:49 PM
ronnie allen

Hard to believe the thread is 3 pages long with no mention of Glen Campbell...And I ain't talking about no singer either.

jimmy93
12-25-2008, 04:58 PM
todd byrd, morris wainscott, gary hiner. ricky lindsey had to be the best ever tho. lane frost told me," rickey lindsey has more tallent in his little finger than the top 15 guys in the world do all together". saw him ride b52 of bradford ivys with no spurs and so drunk he was peeing his pants.

Doug Munsell
12-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Back in the mid seventies through the early ninties in Kansas and Oklahoma & texas these fellas were 5' 6' tall and bullet proof ; Richard Nevels, Randy Mitchell, Jimmy "Worm" Slack, Richard Osborn, Danny Wagoner, Jimmy Crowther, Loren Odell, Lonnie Clemmons, Danny Edmonds, stick it on anything and probably give em a dose of iron! I have often thought that Nevels might have been an illegitimate offspring of Charlie Plummer!

TwoBulls
12-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Ronnie "Punch" Rossen top of my list, Bennie Reynolds, to name of couple of tough's

Lots of hands that may not have been famous, but could and would ride anything you ran in, rain sleet or snow.

OK - Ronnie Roach, Rob McDonald, Brent Clark, Monty Blanford, Earl Gardner, Chock Donaldson, Jimmy Glen Martin, Dickie Miller, Randy Queen, Dennis Owens, David Byers, Vic Fye, Russel Boler, Terry Gross, Mike Lightnin Erickson,Morris Wainscott, Robbie Wainscott, Blake Loganbough and a tough a hand as you'll ever meet and not know he is anything other than just a good guy J. Paul Ganzel. Saw him get on at least 20 head of Charlie Plummers baddest at the Charlies dispersal sale in Sayer,OK all in the same day. When everyone else got tired, hurt or just plain quit, he just kept getting on and he wasn't but a kid, maybe 15. And he didn't just get on, he tried every one of them. Sure earned my respect that day and never lost it over the years. He never quit trying till his head hit the ground.

TX. - Kenneth McKee, Danny Mason, Mike Wing, Ernie Messer, Rickey Walker, Brent Terry, Mark Hatcher, Jim Ketter, and lots of more good hands listed on here already.

I think Doug hit on some greats as well Richard Nevells, Randy Mitchell, Jimmy Slack.

And as bad as I hate to say it in a public forum, Jimmy Morris (AKA-Oklahoma Fats) was a tough hand as well.

It is good to see some of the names that are coming up on this list. Not all the greats were famous, world champions or in the PRCA, PBR, CBR etc.

Merry Christmas to all of you and in memory of all of them.

Jim

6DIAMOND
12-25-2008, 08:59 PM
A couple that left us too early to see how far they went: Alan Tadolini,Johnny Shea and what about Wacey Cathey and Denny Flynn

BigLRodeo
12-25-2008, 09:13 PM
What about Ronnie Roach? I remember him being pretty tough.

TwoBulls
12-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Can't forget Brent Thurman, Raymond Wessel, John (twiggy) Bland,Vaughn Woodrus, Randy Jackson,David Dixon, Lyle Sankey or arguably one of the toughest in anybodies book is Johnny Chavez from Belen (Bosque Farms)New Mexico.

Zip
12-25-2008, 09:48 PM
oh yea Zip was pretty handey too. Hes old :popcorn:

Woody

I used to think I was tough, but Ronnie Allen really was.

yatahey
12-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I agree Nevels was and is a hand. I saw him get on many with a flank and his horse riding spurs. Johnny Shea was a great.
and Guys do not forget TY Rinaldo and Rocky Ricks From CO

Travis
12-25-2008, 10:02 PM
he may not be one of the old ones but he was a great one and a man i have always looked up to and that would be Lane Frost

JustinCrawford
12-25-2008, 10:28 PM
not being around as long as some of yall i dont have a big long list of guys from the late 80's early 90's but Jim nailed on quite a few of them. there is another though, and i might brag a lil just because he is kin folk, but i traveld alot of miles with him, Randy Simpson, and i believe in 90 or 91 he win the tcra finals and could have bucked off his last bull at the finals and still had one it, but he rode a bull that went on to be a prca bull of the year but was tcra bull of the year that year in grass hopper.

ACBUCKINGBULLS
12-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Just a few come to mind {most from Texas}...Andy Carey, Ricky Lindsey, Wolf Turner, James Stone, Bubba Goudeaux, JJ, Gene Lyda, Don Tadolini, Bill Kissinger, Dutch and Chris Norman, Dude Davis, George Conrad, Barry Bunch, Oscar Garcia, Roger Pack, Alan Coudej {Coojay},...

Bobby,
Andy wanted me to Thank You for the compliment! He got a big kick out of seeing it and I know FOR SURE that George did!! If your ever around Lott, Tx. give him a hollar he said. We are always bucking young bulls at C.W. Mitchells and usually have something pretty good on the pit!

Rhonda Carey

C-T
12-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Some guys from around here about the same time (late sixties) that were pretty sticky, Tony Habear, Eddie Puckett, and Red Doyal. Not from around here but at that time, George Paul! Maybe the best ever!! Kinda started the era of being a business man bull rider instead of drunk and a brawler.

socattleco
12-26-2008, 12:09 PM
And just thing what George Paul gave up to stay in the United States and Rodeo.

Zip
12-26-2008, 12:37 PM
One guy that just about saw every bull rider in the past 40 years was Bryan McDonald, and every time I've been around him and this subject came up, he always speaks highly of John Quintana.

HGS
12-26-2008, 12:39 PM
John was the first to tame, the Legendary V 61. HS

Zip
12-26-2008, 12:39 PM
... And don't forget, Cody Lambert rode that stupid buffalo at Mesquite with a bronc saddle. How many bull riders around today would even try that? I think he was the ONLY person to ride him too.

Tammy
12-26-2008, 01:12 PM
That crazy old John Clark. Just saw him 2 years ago and he hasnt changed a bit.

rebelrodeobulls
12-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Wasn't the best ,but went to the nfr and rode ahell of lot of bulls for alot of years Bo Ashorn

BAJABULLS
12-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Growing up around Perryton, TX I heard stories of several guys, but I never saw them ride. Does Doug Munsell or anyone else remember - Rocky Jines, Nicky Don Freeman, Rick Styles, Donnie Eccles, or Jackie Carnes?

Twest00
12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
How about ole Eddie Rawdon.He was pretty handy back in the day.LOL...:sign_cussing:

KEITH NABOURS
12-26-2008, 07:57 PM
DON'T FORGET ABOUT OL BRAD FUDGE!!!!!!!!

tiny
12-26-2008, 08:00 PM
We just lost one of the greats around this area. Junior Arterburn. He was an all around cowboy. And I mean all around cowboy. He rode Bareback , Saddlebronc, and bulls and also bull dogged and roped. HE was told by Jim Shoulders in the and 50's and 60's that he needed to be in the RCA and going hard at it, But Junior was a family man and just stayed at home worked at Boeing aircraft and went to the rodeos he could make. I know for a fact that he started Lyle and Ike Sankey riding by teaching them. I went to a rodeo with him in the late 70's at a little indoor arena in Osage county Ok. and I could never find it again but he got on saddle bronc horse that rared out verticle Junior scored him and it was one hell of a ride. for a man of 55 or 60.
He also raised 2 fine sons and a daughter. Mike Arterburn and Juniors son in law in the late 70' early 80's was either 1st or 2nd on every bronk and bull the got on also, The son in law was from Burwell NE. And he was a bull fighter also in the 70's his name was Paul (ZEKE) Zulkoski. Mike and Zeke was all around also. We lost Zeke a few years ago in a farm accident.

I will stop now. What memories!!

Tiny

Green Valley
12-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Rhonda,
Tell Andy and Charles I said Hi ! Is Charles still working for the Railroad? Old Charles was pretty handy working the "Hood Ornament" on a few bulls back in the day. Heard he recently mounted something out at his house. I bet that was something to see...
Bobby

Green Valley
12-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Terry Holland needs to be mentioned here. Lot of heart and a nice guy...

Don Graham

Mike Cox

Rodney Jones

Green Valley
12-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Anyone ever hear of an old timer named Les Hood? Saw him mount a few at the Bar 1 Bar in Milano, Texas back in the early 70's at the ripe old age of 63. Didn't ride them, but was not afraid to mount. Always turned his cowboy hat sideways when he rode. What a "Cowboy"!

Twest00
12-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Hell I didn't know ole Fudge used to bare down.Thats cool.

Matt Baldwin
12-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Dave Morgan, Ronnie Allen, and David Leggett, Ronnie and David are creeping up on fifty and will still get your money! Ronnie is nothing short of a living legend in the south.

Matt Baldwin
Alabamabullfighter@yahoo.com
Sylvania, Al
256 717 8231

bjoewhitney
12-26-2008, 11:41 PM
dont forget about bo davis, or johnny maccuci. butch bromlow, roy carter,

A&E Rodeo Bulls
12-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Old school cowboys around here, Melvin Clark, Les Gore, Dick Stull. Clay Sullivan was as tough as they came, he got on Mr.T for fun after a guy turned him out and rode him in Wheatland about 2 weeks after Marty rode him for the first time. Early this year I had a young bull that kept fighting the chute and the kid kept hopping out, Clay at 50 years young climbed down in on him to show the kid how to stay in and the bull went to his belly Clay said to hell with it, pulled the rope himself, no glove, no spurs, and called for him, the bull was not a real bucker, but he rode him and it darn sure impressed all the young college kids there! Thats what cowboying up used to be!

diamondj
12-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Zip that buffalo Lambert rode was either a yak or a water buffalo i can't remember. I think it's name was Harvey Wallbanger. I bet i still have that on vhs.

Some of the toughest i saw growing up in the Nw. was Wade Leslie, Dave Best, Shawn Best,Harold Haponstall, Martin Haponstall, Greg Oules, and Rob Sweeney.

rebelrodeobulls
12-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Martin was the best bullrider I ever knew that never heard the whistle.And a fun guy to rodeo with.

RJP
12-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Bobby,
At an oldtimers rodeo, I saw Mr. Les Hood ride a bronc, fanned his hat, yelled, and his false teeth flew out his mouth. Les just reached out, caught his teeth, put them in his mouth, and jumped to the ground like stepping out of a truck. I think he was 72 at the time!

socattleco
12-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Cody told me he had seen all those folks try to ride that YAK with a bullrope and he noticed that he bucked more like a bucking horse then a bull so thats why he used his bronc saddle.He said the bounty was like $1500 and that was a lot of money back then .So he used his saddle and rode him with ease and took the money.Cody is one of the smartest guys youll ever know he notices things like that.

rodeostockyard.com
12-27-2008, 04:32 PM
How about some East Coast hands!

David Gaither 13x IFR Bullrider
Daniel Gaither
Steve Avery 2x PBR Finals
Jerome Davis- Champ!
Lamont McKnight-The Bull Monkey!!

Others that I've heard stories of are:

Glen Campbell
Ronnie Allen
Wendel Ratchford
Jack Wiseman
Danny Custer
J. Y Begay- Many time Indian Champ

ajaxbulls
12-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Denny Flynn and Kenny Wilcox were pretty fair hands.

Green Valley
12-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Man, it is great to see so many names and stories posted here. Let's keep it going until they are all mentioned that we can think of. Every day I remember someone else. All these men contributed in some way to keep bull riding alive and well in the USA. God Bless them all. Even the ones that are not with us any more...

Bobby

HGS
12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Any of you ever know Robert Chambers? HS

Ty Rinaldo
12-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Glen Younger, Lyle Sankey and Cody Custer. Great bull riders, great instructors and great men..........We also need to mention the athletes who have made many saves so that we could stay on the road. Jim McClain has been a true life saver as a bull fighter and now he works hard to keep our bull athletes healthy with the TwoBulls Supplement.

bushrat
12-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Good to see someone remembered probably the greatest of them all, George Paul. What about Freckles Brown, and Jim Shoulders? Up here, some of the best bullriders I remember seeing were Daryl Mills, his brother Shane, who was killed in an oilfield wreck(Daryl told me Shane was actually better than he was), Rob Bell, Derek(Canbuck), Kelly Armstrong, my old travelling partner Wade Gentles(could be puking drunk and still ride the rank ones), Cody Snyder, andI know there are others, I just can't recall the names right now....

HookinMLivestock
12-28-2008, 04:02 AM
cant believe the texans left out mcalvain and donny! a guy that never made the finals from cal. but was as good as they got, allan jordan jr.

socattleco
12-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Ill tell you a guy who was as tough as any and lost the World Title when they had to have a ride off .The only time it has ever happened and thats Randy Majors from Commanche Texas.Phil Lyne was another if he would have rodeoed longer no teling how many more World Titles he would have won.Guys i also remember watching back in the day that were pretty sticky were Don Graham,and Brian Claypool ,Sandy Kirby all of them were pretty darn good .

Tammy
12-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Ricky Bolin, Bobby DelVecchio, Stan Runions were three more. Hawkeye Henson also rode bulls in the beginning and was pretty good at it too, but Donnie always won the bullriding. So, Hawk decided to just give Donnie his bull riding entry fee and stick to winning some money with the broncs.

I have some old pictures of a lot of these guys. I'll dig them out tomorrow and post some of them.

Tammy

Taxi
12-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Didn't Allen Jordan Jr. ride Oscar? :confused:

Backedwhentheybucked
12-28-2008, 11:40 AM
My hero is Robbie Vaccarro!
Jan

socattleco
12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
lol ... Robbie was a good laugh for a little bit but then he started getting the money in Mesquite.I remember the first time he got the money and they interviewed him ,He said its glad to finally make the Mesquite Best Ride Tape and not The Mesquite Worst Wreck Tape.

Caja Ranch
12-28-2008, 01:16 PM
You used to see a lot of the great ones at Mesquite and some pretty funny ones but Robbie sure stuck out.:yikes:

Green Valley
12-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Robbie needs to be on this list because of his heart and determination. People made fun of him "falling" off a lot of bulls, but he hung in there until it worked. Congradulations Robbie !!!!!!!!!!!!

KEITH NABOURS
12-28-2008, 05:03 PM
ROBBIE RODE HORSES NOT BULLS:cigar:

HGS
12-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Right Keith, Robbie hung around this SA area when he was beginning, might have got on a few bulls. He was a case, a wreck waiting to happen. HS

Mark Harris
12-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Bubba Goudeaux, JJ Ferrell, Ramy Neil, Brett and Mark Chaffin, Gary Richards, Russell Britnocker, Oscar Garcia, Dan Hill, are some that come to mind. Saw Russell ride one of Johnny's bull's in Sante Fe one time laying down in the shutt when he called for him and ended up spuring him in the neck. One of the best rides I ever saw. These guy's used to go to Siminton when nothing else was going on then leave and go to Stetson Hall out in Rosenburg area and let off a little steam lmao.

CROSSCBUCKINGBULLS
12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Claude Chapman, D.J. Chapman and on the rare occasion he would enter the bull riding because most of the time he was in the bares but would two foot a bull Jerry Chapman.

jimmy93
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
cant believe the texans left out mcalvain and donny! a guy that never made the finals from cal. but was as good as they got, allan jordan jr.

cant believe the pruneies havent mentioned the guru, gary laffew!!

BAL
12-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Bobby Gillis, Rusty Bradbury

Scooter
12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
How about Mark Studley, Wade Berry, Mike and Mark Morrow, Donnie McMaster, Shannon Grady, Bob Smith, Del Bradbury,Randy Penry. I'll think of some more later.

nfrdad02
12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Can't leave out these guys. Joe Gaskins, Monty Penny, Eddie Roberts, the late Doyle Stanford another guy who rode bareback horses but would get on bulls every now and then and could ride really well Jimmy Clevland, this list could go on and on.

peycashkatz
12-28-2008, 10:20 PM
i hear joe levi was pretty handy when he traveled with charles sampson 82 rookie of the year but never made the finals

jimmy93
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
and roy rates!!! roy i heard it wasnt unusual for you to tame there rankest one!!!

6DIAMOND
12-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah ole' Studley could spur one with the best of em'. Saw a picture one time his knee was almost in ear he was gapping one so hard!:yikes:Some more of the old CO. bunch Frank Blackshere,Kelly Melvin,Gary Walters and the Wahlerts

jason b king
12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
hey guys what about mertis dightman/ ronnie whitfield/ shaun egg /bobby reynolds/clayton stallings/scottie windom/sam medlock:party:

peycashkatz
12-29-2008, 12:28 AM
marty speaking of colo. guys Mike Kleyla Doug Joeseph Richard Rule

6DIAMOND
12-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah was thinking of Doug and Richard. What about Randy Lopez,Jesse Banek,Todd Steinbach,Jesse Hill,Justin Hill there was a bunch of guys that could ride wish I was one of them.

Backedwhentheybucked
12-29-2008, 12:36 AM
i hear joe levi was pretty handy when he traveled with charles sampson 82 rookie of the year but never made the finals

I thought Robbie Christie won rookie in 1982. Robbie traveled w/Ted and Charlie that yr. I remember that yr in cheyene, Robbie, Ted and Charlie, came into the Hitching Post wearing cowboy hats from the carnival, the light blue, and pink ones with all the feathers in the front. Better than getting their good hats stomped. RIP Robbie.
Jan

peycashkatz
12-29-2008, 08:06 AM
jan I guess i could be wrong he wears the buckle but i guess he could of had it made. i assumed i was told the truth.

C-T
12-29-2008, 08:50 AM
In reference to Roy Yates post. Joe, Monty, Eddie, and Doyle would show up here every once and while and I never owned a bull that they weren't capable of spurring. Ranker the better! Need to throw Von Woodress into that bunch. As far as Jimmy Cleveland, he could have won the world in either event and maybe the all around had things been a little differen't. Seeing all these names sure brings back lots of memories of my bulls getting some pretty good spankings.

Kelcy Salisbury
12-29-2008, 10:33 AM
hey guys what about mertis dightman/ ronnie whitfield/ shaun egg /bobby reynolds/clayton stallings/scottie windom/sam medlock:party:

Medlock ain't that old now...Just seems that way. I'll be sure and tell him that he's officially an old timer now:hurray:

Does anyone else remember Guy Whittaker from Alabama and Jerry Haggert from MS? Those two were both pretty handy and tough. Also from that part of the world, Dr. Clint Green.

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen David Wesson's name on here.

glorybull
12-29-2008, 10:38 AM
WELL I BELIEVE THERE IS A FEW THAT WAS LEFT OUT. BRIAN AGNEW,JAMES CALICO,TOMMY CRANDELL,DAVID BAILEY,GARY AND CHARLES HINER,TOMMY BAKER,DELL HALL JUST TO NAME A FEW

Tammy
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/S_f35_32.jpg

Rob McDonald, Stan Runions, Calvin Patton, Lee Myatt, Mike Duplissey, Marlin Harris, Bryon McNair, Bobby Leggitt, Johna Cravens and Scott Fletcher

Tammy
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/RobCrew.jpg

John Wilson, Doyle Stanford, Rob McDonald, Stan Runions, Marlin Harris, Jerry Easly and Benny Jordan.

Tammy
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Roy Carter

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/PICT0045.jpg

Tammy
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Jim Shoulders

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/cbjimshoulders.jpg

Tammy
12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Hawkeye Henson.. dont know why the bull's head is cut off.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/cboyhawkonbull.jpg

bullfrog
12-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Bobby Stiner, cant forget him

LMC BULLS
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Im kinda like charlie Thompson, lots of memories coming back on this subject.Monty Penny and his mentor David Curry, running buddy , Charlie Stevens were pretty handy. One from O.K. WAs Ronnie Bowman.Phil Brewer also fits in with these guys as being pretty handy. Little brother David Mclauchlin rode a few good ones when he was around.Thanks for the pics Tammy, A blast from past.

Leftlane
12-29-2008, 12:49 PM
How about Mark Studley, Wade Berry, Mike and Mark Morrow, Donnie McMaster, Shannon Grady, Bob Smith, Del Bradbury,Randy Penry. I'll think of some more later.

Donnie McMaster still can't leave it alone- he judges a bunch of our Jr Rodeo's and still threatens to whip 2-3 guys at a time when they need it!
Good guy- old school to be sure.

Green Valley
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
BTT

Scooter
12-29-2008, 09:39 PM
I used to travel with Donnie back in the 80's. Don't get to talk to him much anymore. Heard that he had some bad luck this year.

WHO'S BUCKIN' BULLS
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Sammy Crocker sure rode good, and still can.

Leftlane
12-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I used to travel with Donnie back in the 80's. Don't get to talk to him much anymore. Heard that he had some bad luck this year.

Donnie lost a sister and his wife lost a set of twins. I sure hate to see bad things happen to good people, but thats how his year went.
I'll make sure and tell him you were thinkin' of him next time I see him.

Leftlane
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I was too young to ever see them ride, but the older guys around here always talked about Jerald and Ken Roberts, Jim Shoulders and Tommy Likes (sp?) as being super men in thier day.
When I was a kid, Jimmy Crowther, Richard Nevel, Dennis Base, Bobby Christianson, David Wesson, and TD West were the guys won all the money in the bullridin' around these parts.
Several of those fellas were also noted for being handy in a bare knuckle contest too.

bucku
12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Joe Wimbely

BUBBA NELSON
12-31-2008, 03:04 PM
I dont know if most of you know these guys but i know a few of you do. Johnny Ackel and CARL DEATON. CARL HAD THE WORLD RECORD STEER WRESTLING TIME OF 2.4 (WITHOUT BARRIER) 1974 I THINK. TWO GREAT COWBOYS. GLAD TO KNOW THEM BOTH. Johnny used to do it all. Ride Bulls, Bronc, bares, steer wrestle. rope he did it all. Johnny sitting in the top five going into the finals one year and went home to tend to his crops.

Pretty Cool stories floating around this board.

bubba nelson
fannett, texas
409-651-6772

Travis Eckroth
12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
I always liked watching Scott Breding.
http://www.westernedgebullriders.com/eckroth2.html

and Glen McIlvain, Wacey Cathey, Wimberley, Bobby DelVeccio....

socattleco
12-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Theres some Athletes in the Breding family,His Uncle Ed Breding ended up down here in Texas in High School and played College Football for Texas A&M.And ended up playing for the Washington Redskins who then was coached by Vince Lombardi.

WHO'S BUCKIN' BULLS
01-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I think Abe Morris should be mentioned.Abe rode bulls good and he wrote a good book about how he did it.

Tammy
01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Here's a pic of John Clark and Billy Don Haynes at he IFR old timers banquet. January 2007. I havent laughed so hard since then.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/PICT0008.jpg

Tammy
01-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Denny Flynn

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/cboydennyflynnlufkin.jpg

Tammy
01-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Not a bull rider, but a danged good fighter. Bryon McNair

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/Bryon202.jpg

LMC BULLS
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Saw bryan a couple of years ago at a fund raiser we had for his last leg surgery, same haircut just fewer teeth.

Scooter
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I can remember being at Dayton, Ia in 85 or 86 and John Clark showing up with his 1965 IPRA World Champ leather gear bag and spurring the hide off of a couple of James Sears good ones just for fun.

socattleco
01-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Bobby Berger was as tough as a bullrider as there ever was.

Kelcy Salisbury
01-02-2009, 04:16 PM
One of my heroes and a guy I learned a lot from (even if he may not realize or remember it) is Joe Wimberly. Tough bullrider, and a good person too. Which makes me wonder, does anybody have his phone number? I've got an idea I'd like to ask him about.

BullPuncher
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Havn't seen anyone mention Jerome Robinson. 14 trips to the NFR speaks for itself.

Sunset_Buckers
01-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I also may have missed it, but ole Wacey Cathey could sure ride a few.

Kelcy Salisbury
01-02-2009, 07:06 PM
And Wacey also made the NFR 14 or 15 times

codysosebee
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
wow tammy thanks for posting those ol' pics......when i was a kid benny jordan took me in to the locker room at the ifr in tulsa....rob,stan,mike fletcher and a several others were all raising 13 kinds of hell... partying...laughing...and riding the heck out of some buckin sob's.....thats when i decided i wanted to be a cowboy!

SundayCreekBuckers
01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Ronnie Rossen, tough as they come and died in the arena doing what he loved.

http://prorodeo.rodeoup.com/_RONNIE-ROSSEN/video/60053/3808.html

codysosebee
01-06-2009, 12:09 AM
well i was probably around 10 or 11...not sure...but i heard words i had never heard before and seen stuff i had never seen before and thought that they were all the coolest dudes ever! i remember it to this day, yes i had heard stan was going back to making hats and im proud.... makes the best hat a cowboy can put on his head. keep me updated on the website...

rhinestone
01-06-2009, 04:24 PM
I just skimmed through and may have missed them.

David Bailey Jr.
Tiger Carver
Micah (sp) John Calico

Tammy
01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Pete Hessman

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/elmo1.jpg

Tammy
01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Rob McDonald IFR 1977

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/PICT0028.jpg

Gary Toole, Rob Mcdonald, Denny Flynn, Kenny Wilcox

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/zoomer.jpg

Tammy
01-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Cody, I just talked to Stan and he said tell you hi. I read your post to him and he thought that was really cool.

SUGAR
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Love the photos Tammy!!

What about:

Lonzo (Lonnie Wyatt)
Spanky Browne
Fournier Bros.

G._Walker
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Don't want the "prunies" to be left out.....

http://www.gspear.com/Garyposterforweb_2.jpg

bjoewhitney
01-07-2009, 09:04 PM
what about owen wasburn or clint branger

Joey Martin
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Rob McDonald IFR 1977

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/PICT0028.jpg

Gary Toole, Rob Mcdonald, Denny Flynn, Kenny Wilcox

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/zoomer.jpg

Gary toole was the coolest guy to ever sport a pair of suspenders !!!!

Kelcy Salisbury
01-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Also don't forget Mark Cain & Bubba Dunn

Rickey Morales
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
This pic is on the story of Denny Flynn on the book On Down the Road. It tells about Denny getting goared my a brahamer.

Denny Flynn

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/cboydennyflynnlufkin.jpg

Rickey Morales
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
What about Bobby Hoff, Jeff Quame and Chuck Maher. Bobby is ranching in Leith, ND. Jerry is around Carson, ND. The Eckroth boys are in Flasher, ND. The Magees, Dough, Meryl, and Tom are around Bowman, ND. And let us not forget the Great Late CL Johnson from Eagle Butte, SD.

From my part of the country Terry Clays fits right into that description. Absolutely feerless, he'd get on anything no matter what its reputation, and probably spur the hair off it. Contractors hated him, bulls feared him, and women loved him.

Some others that come to mind are Shorty Dorwieller (sp?) door-why-ler), Steve Pojonowski, Charlie and Paul Weiderholt.

Jerry Weinberger will also fit that mold, as will a couple of his boys.

Mark and Luke Kuhn could and would ride anything you'd run under em. Luke had more talent then any of em, but it was a talent that never seemed to be fully applied.

Back in the late 70's we had a family of rough stock riders around here. The Connelys were Bud JR, Brian, Joe, and Jimmy. Meaner then rattlesnakes they'd fight at the drop of a hat. Fearless and nuts, they'd ride a Saber-Tooth if you'd run one in. I think they'r out in the Dickenson, ND area now.

Rickey Morales
04-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Say hi to Wayne for me. I have fond memories of these guys.

I always liked watching Scott Breding.
http://www.westernedgebullriders.com/eckroth2.html

and Glen McIlvain, Wacey Cathey, Wimberley, Bobby DelVeccio....

Rickey Morales
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Bobby made the NFR 13xs, Won the Bullriding Ave. twice, the Bronc riding ave. once and the World in Broncs once. Qualified to the Finals in all three roughstock events twice. He is tough and modest as heck. Any pic. of him anyone? He is in Pearsall, TX but at the present time him and I are riding colts in Eagle Pass, TX.

Bobby was remembering Gene Lyda last night. He said he was a pretty bullrider. Dressed nice, & had girls with him all the time that would stand by the fence and holler, "Spur 'em Gene, Spur 'em".

Bobby Berger was as tough as a bullrider as there ever was.

stewart gulager
04-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Use to like watching Jerry Lavalley ride.

bmoring1
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM

I remember a guy named B Joe Whitney that rode a bull called Dagger at one of Sumners bull ridings. That bull had an impossible first corner, but B Joe stuck on him like bondo. Then there was another time in Lawton where B Joe showed he could ride with the very best at a challenger series event where all the BFTS riders were riding. He took home a truck full of money that time. How about that guy?

Zip
04-29-2010, 08:32 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/hawkeyehenson/S_f35_32.jpg

Rob McDonald, Stan Runions, Calvin Patton, Lee Myatt, Mike Duplissey, Marlin Harris, Bryon McNair, Bobby Leggitt, Johna Cravens and Scott Fletcher

Scott Fletcher = 100% Cowboy.

htbuckingbulls
04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
No mention of Bobby Delvecchio?

BullPuncher
04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
What about Bobby Hoff, Jeff Quame and Chuck Maher. Bobby is ranching in Leith, ND. Jerry is around Carson, ND. The Eckroth boys are in Flasher, ND. The Magees, Dough, Meryl, and Tom are around Bowman, ND. And let us not forget the Great Late CL Johnson from Eagle Butte, SD.

You bet, those guys certainly could ride a good one. Quame was a sticky as they come. Also seen Fred and Chad Berger ride some good ones. Remember Allen Pennington? As good as any on this list. Brad Bretien could twist a good one also. I was a 12 year old Pup when I met these two guys during a school at Suttons around the mid 70's. And yes, Jerry LaValley was fun to watch, he had a whole lot of talent and used it well.

UCALLWEHAUL
04-30-2010, 03:12 AM
HE IS NOT REAL OLD BUT I DIDNT SEE ANYONE MENTION NORMAN CURRY

UCALLWEHAUL
04-30-2010, 03:38 AM
DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A BRONC RIDER FROM PAYETT ID NAMED SHORTY R. HORN. MET HIM WHEN HAULING AND DELIVERING CATTLE TO ID.. HE RODE BUCKING HORSES WHEN THE RCA WAS FORMED AND THE FINALS WAS AT MADDISON SQUARE GARDENS NY. SEEN SOME REALLY COOL PICTURES OF THIS GUY ON SOME RANK HORSES FROM I THINK AS EARLY AS THE 50'S. THIS GUY HAS SOME STORIES AND IS EITHER IN HIS 70'S OR 80'S NOW AND IS STILL GOING

Moffitt bucking bulls
04-30-2010, 07:34 AM

I GREW UP WITH MOST OF THOSE GUY WE HAVE TO KNOE EACH OTHER !! BUBBA LIVES ON A RANCH IN SOUTH TEXAS WHAT ABOUT LESTER KLUGES GOLD MESA !! THE BEASLEY BROS !!!!! LARRY KING,LC MITCHEL,NED BUSH

Rickey Morales
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Mike Hermanson is a good friend of mine and quiet a bullrider. Last I heard he was working in Carson, ND at a place where they make cattle pannels and corrales. I ran with those boy in the late 80s to early 90s. Billy Ward from Eagle Butte, SD could sure twist one. How about the nicest guy going back then Smiley Sierra, Pine Ridge, SD.

You bet, those guys certainly could ride a good one. Quame was a sticky as they come. Also seen Fred and Chad Berger ride some good ones. Remember Allen Pennington? As good as any on this list. Brad Bretien could twist a good one also. I was a 12 year old Pup when I met these two guys during a school at Suttons around the mid 70's. And yes, Jerry LaValley was fun to watch, he had a whole lot of talent and used it well.

Rickey Morales
04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Another guy need mentioning is Cory Turbow. He could ride one. Any one know where he's at? And Danny Pish, Mark Longoria, Jouaquin Garza, Mike Furrs, Jim Bob Stobner, Rafael Mosqueda??

HE IS NOT REAL OLD BUT I DIDNT SEE ANYONE MENTION NORMAN CURRY

borntobuck
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Rickey,

Please read this. http://www.bcsalering.com/showthread.php?t=436

Thank you.

Rickey Morales
04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Do anybody know Steve Gander of WTR? He used to produce PRCA rodeos in the Great Lakes Circuit. He use to sell copies of the performance rodeos to contestants. I'd like to get copies of several of 1995 -1997. If anyone has any copies or know how to get ahold of Mr. Gander please let me know.

Thanks,

RM

BullPuncher
05-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Mike Hermanson is a good friend of mine and quiet a bullrider. Last I heard he was working in Carson, ND at a place where they make cattle pannels and corrales. I ran with those boy in the late 80s to early 90s. Billy Ward from Eagle Butte, SD could sure twist one. How about the nicest guy going back then Smiley Sierra, Pine Ridge, SD.

I didnt know Bill Ward other then by name. I was thinking about this post today and thought of Smiley. Another guy with a whole lot of talent. I havnt heard anything of him in years. Mike Hermanson was entered in Park Rapids just a few years ago. I always got a kick out of him. It seemed that when ever I was around he would get knocked out. Got to the point where I thought about hiding from him so he could go home without a head-ache. There was a Darrel Hermanson that could ride really well also, he finished in the top five at the 79 H.S. finals. I cant remember if he was related to Mike or not, and dont know what happened to him either, he seemed to disappear from my radar.

Diamond E Bucking Bulls
05-01-2010, 03:22 AM
Bobby Christensen, Charlie Sampson,

JBBULL
05-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Mark McClure, Stew Sellars,Marty Steiner

Travis Eckroth
05-01-2010, 08:19 AM
I didnt know Bill Ward other then by name. I was thinking about this post today and thought of Smiley. Another guy with a whole lot of talent. I havnt heard anything of him in years. Mike Hermanson was entered in Park Rapids just a few years ago. I always got a kick out of him. It seemed that when ever I was around he would get knocked out. Got to the point where I thought about hiding from him so he could go home without a head-ache. There was a Darrel Hermanson that could ride really well also, he finished in the top five at the 79 H.S. finals. I cant remember if he was related to Mike or not, and dont know what happened to him either, he seemed to disappear from my radar.

Darrell won the HS finals that year, then in 2000 I think is when his son Justin won it, only time thats ever happened.
Mike is Darrell's brother. a younger nephew Cole is even better!

BullPuncher
05-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for filling it in Travis. I figured you'd know and I'm glad you chimed in. I've been trying to follow them young Hermanson boys, they're certainly carrying on the name. These boys could really fill thier pockets if they decide to chase it hard.

cajun
05-01-2010, 02:17 PM
J.E. Boo Ledoux rode them back in the 50's and 60's. I worked for this ole cowboy after he retired and sold his meat market in south Louisiana. This old cowboy was tough as good saddle leather. Passed away about 5 years ago at 92.He rode again for one season back in the 70's at the age of 62 got on 11 bulls that year and made the buzzer 7 times. He worked me hard for hardly anything but you could learn all you wanted to know about breaking and training horses and riding bulls.Sure wish i had him around now.

seancircleLbuckingbulls
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
kEITH AND IRVIN WILLIAMS ,STEVE GANNS ,ROCKY HICKMAN ,RICHARD RULE,STEVE GRAY, DAVID BERRY, GENE OWENS,AND ONE ARKIE JACK TERRY RODE AT CSRA FINALS AT 45 YEARS OLD ANY OF THIS GUYS COULD STICK A BAD ONE AT ANYTIME

SEAN BAKER
CIRCLE L BUCKING BULLS
worldofsean@sbcglobal.net
479-283-0010

LMCC
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I went to rodeos with Jack Terry from Van Buren, Arkansas. He was tough and tried all the bad ones. He quit riding bulls the first time when he was 18 and started back when he was 35. I quit riding before he did, so I don't know exactly how old he was when he retired. He had a son named Mark that could ride 'em too. He won the National High School Championship in 1979.

Rickey Morales
05-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Casey Gates was another guy that used to show up and take all the money at those Bull-A-Ramas. Then there was Dan Plumer, Troy Lawrence, and Rob Bright. All good hands.

Leftlane
05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
How about Wacey Cathy- riding 10 at the NFR ain't something happens every year you know.
Jim Shoulders was a hero of mine and Donnie Gay Won 8 titles. Those guys were sure the real deal IMO.

Ty Rinaldo
05-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Mike Campbell from Palisade, Co. Mike was killed by a bull in 1981. I remember Mike asking Buster Webb about a bull and Buster said, "If you ride this bull kid you'll win the rodeo." Mike won the bull riding that day. Lord only knows how far he might have gone.

Rafter A Ranch
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
David Gaither , Glen Cambell , Howard and Clinton Cessna, Ronnie Allen, Bubbie Bailey and there are a few more in that group. They are the guys that brought Jerome along out of high school.

Rickey Morales
05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
http://i1.tagstat.com/image03/d/1648/000-052fhp8.jpg

Marty, Gary, and Rickey at the Broken B Arena in Leon Springs, TX 1987

Rickey Morales
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
http://i0.tagstat.com/image04/d/1648/0010052fhp8.jpg

George Paul Meyers, Monahans, TX 1966

Green Valley
05-10-2010, 10:13 AM
How about some old pics?

Libbybullrider
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Casey Gates was another guy that used to show up and take all the money at those Bull-A-Ramas. Then there was Dan Plumer, Troy Lawrence, and Rob Bright. All good hands.

Hey Ricky,
It's funny you mentioned Rob Bright. I just talked to him today and we're going to go have dinner tomorrow. I'll tell him about your comment, he'll like it.

ScottyFritts
05-10-2010, 11:02 PM
here is a few; if they have already been mentioned, they deserve it again.
Gary Hiner
David Wesson
Jerry McCullar
TDW
Roy Yates
Wendell Ratchford
they may not have been the greatest, but i know they rode some of the greatest bulls that the pbr will ever see

Rosey Kalencki
05-11-2010, 03:41 AM
ronnie allen

Without a Shadow of a Doubt, Ronnie Allen was and is "A Hand"!!! And very honored to call him a friend!!!

Rickey Morales
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM
PJ,
Tell Rob hi for me. We are DCC alumni!! Had us some good times at the O, Mitzies and the Disco. Not to mention Rocklitz Arena with old Marv.

RM

Hey Ricky,
It's funny you mentioned Rob Bright. I just talked to him today and we're going to go have dinner tomorrow. I'll tell him about your comment, he'll like it.

tiny
05-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I do think I have read thru this a couple of times and some one has mentioned Jim Shoulders a few times but no one that I have seen has mentioned Freckles Brown.

What about some of the old stock contractors I know one that did Open Rodeos for 44 years. Carpenter Rodeo Company, Norman Carpenter. Retired in 1999 and started doing rodeos in 1956.

Tiny

Diamond E Bucking Bulls
05-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Another old Stock Contractor is Christensen Bro's Rodeo Co. Roseburg Oregon. They helped start the NFR.

Leftlane
05-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I was told Floyd Rumford got on a bareback horse when he was 60. IDK if he ever rode bulls or not (that would have been long before my time), but as stock contractors go- that would be difficult to top wouldn't it?

Libbybullrider
05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
PJ,
Tell Rob hi for me. We are DCC alumni!! Had us some good times at the O, Mitzies and the Disco. Not to mention Rocklitz Arena with old Marv.

RM

I told Rob tonight you said hello. I am a DCC alum as well and had a lot of good times there but hated Glendive. LOL

BullPuncher
05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
What about some of the old stock contractors I know one that did Open Rodeos for 44 years. Carpenter Rodeo Company, Norman Carpenter. Retired in 1999 and started doing rodeos in 1956.

Tiny

I seen Bob Barnes a couple years ago, seemes like he dont age at all, looked pretty good for being 160 years old! He was bossin and shoutin orders that day just like he did 30 years ago. Tough and ornery ol codger!

ScottyFritts
05-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I was told Floyd Rumford got on a bareback horse when he was 60. IDK if he ever rode bulls or not (that would have been long before my time), but as stock contractors go- that would be difficult to top wouldn't it?

hell Marlin JC is still ridin in the old timers at 75 aint he? LOL

bayou buckers
05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Bernis Johnson
Tex Martin
Casey Tibbs
Jim Miller
Frank Rhoades
Marvin Holmes
Bill Kornell
(Harry Tomkins top 5 of all time)
Ronnie Bowman
Dan Willis
Butch Kirby
Sammie Groves
The toughest guy i ever knew personaly was Buck Legrand I was at ft worth once,buck had his hand on the back side of the chute telling a story ond one of steiners bulls came in the chute and hooked his hand it took off 3 or 4 fingernails buck jus shook his hand and went on telling his story.thats tough

LOG HAULER
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
bud mayberry out of missouri can sure have the honor of being considered tuff.i think he's died oncebeen hooked a lot and cussed even more,and hasn't aged a year in the past 40.i asked my dad how old bud was one time and he took a second and said ''hell he was old when i was ridin'.

socattleco
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
If you really want to talk about OLD TIMERS who were top hands then a guy you have to add thats right here where im from Sonny Lavender from Holliday Texas needs to be mentioned. Jim Shoulders made the comment that if Lavender would have hit the trail a little harder he woulnt have won near as many titles because Lavender would have gotten them !

Rickey Morales
05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
http://t7.tagstat.com/image02/d/1648/500v052fhp8.jpg
From the Past....Glendive, MT DCC NIRA 1986
Marvin Brookman bull

Green Valley
05-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Almost 24000 hits... WOW!

Debbie Blackshere
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
:party::party:what about owen wasburn or clint branger

How about Frank Blackshere, Shane Thurston, Dax Lackie, Dan Wolfe, Justin Andrea, Todd Steinbock, Wes Cyr , Mark Cain, Jerome Davis , Jimmy Young, Lesley Doyle...........................

Platinum Pistol
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
How about Frank Blackshere, Shane Thurston, Dax Lackie, Dan Wolfe, Justin Andrea, Todd Steinbock, Wes Cyr , Mark Cain, Jerome Davis , Jimmy Young, Lesley Doyle...........................

If you're remembering those BRO boys how can you leave out Butch Cathcart, CL Johnson, or Marty Staneart.

bjvs
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
David Gaither , Glen Cambell , Howard and Clinton Cessna, Ronnie Allen, Bubbie Bailey and there are a few more in that group. They are the guys that brought Jerome along out of high school.

Glen Campbell is my brother and David Gaither is one of his best friends. Great to see they're not forgotten.

Wes Hevener
01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I would have loved to see Glen ride. I loved hearing all the stories David has told.

ScottyFritts
01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
I recall seeing Glen ride David Baileys DX10 Chainsaw at the IFR when he was 17 years old.

Art
01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Rob Sweeny, Jimmy Young, guys my age that were tough as nails and always had my back that never went to far out of the north west due to various things, Josh Petross, Wes Bilyeu, Brent Harry, he could put a hole in one, and fellow bullfighter Matt Heath.

Art
01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Rob Sweeny, Jimmy Young, guys my age that were tough as nails and always had my back that never went to far out of the north west due to various things, Josh Petross, Wes Bilyeu, Brent Harry, he could put a hole in one, and fellow bullfighter Matt Heath.
Ty Joslin and Jeff Rupert were pretty tough also.
Robert Bowers.
Marcus Macalis

spurs716
01-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Glad to see someone brought this old thread back. Gotta question though? I loved looking at the old pics and was wondering if anyone had a picture of the old wooden bucking chutes at the State Fair Arena in OKC?

Tull
01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
This is a great post. I'm only 31, so in my opinion those hardcore guys were nearing there end as I was coming up threw the practice pens and open rodeos as a young bullrider. But I defenatly saw a different caliber of bullrider during my early years than I do now. That conversation can go both ways though.... Those practice pens and open rodeos were not as rank as they are now. I'm not saying those guys wouldnt get on todays bulls and ride them, but that is defenatly food for thought.

Art
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Brent
01-22-2011, 09:25 PM

Hairy South Louisiana was still jus as tough until about 10 years ago. Jus a few left that will even get on anymore but there are a couple that will get on and try but not near enough.

Brent
01-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Does anyone remember Kent and Kirt Richard from around South La. - East Tx. ? Two riding brothers that spured everybull the rode in the neck!! Their daddy Dickie Richard was the same way. kirt later went on to the WNFR in the barback riding.

M Y
01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I traveled a lot of miles with Kent, he was a great rider and a great person. We had some really good times. They lived in Port Arthur, TX..

Brent
01-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I traveled a lot of miles with Kent, he was a great rider and a great person. We had some really good times. They lived in Port Arthur, TX..

Mike Kent had moved to Iowa La for several years but is in Dayton Tx now. I got to travel with Kent when I first started as well you'll never meet a better guy.

Platinum Pistol
01-24-2011, 12:04 AM

Wes came and lived with me in Cheyenne for a Winter, great guy!

vickersbuckers
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Rayford Connerly
Charles Courtney
Garrett Frey
Willis Trosclair
Corey Cooley
Doug Vincent
Thibodeaux's / Kibodeaux's from church point

seen Brent Vincent spur down quite a few too!

im forgettin a bunch more ill think of later

brokenarrow
01-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Haven't looked at all these post so his name mite have been brougth up but Mike Flynn ( Denny Flynn's brother) was pretty dang tough. Rode horses & bulls, hard to get on the ground. Mike would kick loose & spur a bull every jump long before anyone around hear ever started ridin like that. And spur a bareback horse i use to love to see him ride. Unlike most of the hands today if he got bucked off he didn't get mad he'de just laugh & say boy he put it on me didn't he. Like Denny, hell of a nice guy. With both those Flynn boy the acorn didn't fall far from the tree. In 1967 Mike & I went to Elko, Nevada to high school finals Mr. Waldo didn't want to bother us so he stayed in his pu truck all week. We tried to get him to stay in the room but he said no. Now that was back in the good old days.

badbulls
01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Haven't looked at all these post so his name mite have been brougth up but Mike Flynn ( Denny Flynn's brother) was pretty dang tough. Rode horses & bulls, hard to get on the ground. Mike would kick loose & spur a bull every jump long before anyone around hear ever started ridin like that. And spur a bareback horse i use to love to see him ride. Unlike most of the hands today if he got bucked off he didn't get mad he'de just laugh & say boy he put it on me didn't he. Like Denny, hell of a nice guy. With both those Flynn boy the acorn didn't fall far from the tree. In 1967 Mike & I went to Elko, Nevada to high school finals Mr. Waldo didn't want to bother us so he stayed in his pu truck all week. We tried to get him to stay in the room but he said no. Now that was back in the good old days.

Great story,Eddie. I never knew Mike. But Denny was a great hand and one of the nicest guys I know. Got to visit with him about three days in 2009 at Ft Smith. He is still All about cowboying.:pop:

JamesHooks
01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I loved looking at the old pics and was wondering if anyone had a picture of the old wooden bucking chutes at the State Fair Arena in OKC?

No, but they are still there. I saw them last year when I was, at the IFR Sale. Pretty neat to see.

spurs716
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
No, but they are still there. I saw them last year when I was, at the IFR Sale. Pretty neat to see.

I got to see them this year while at the Contract Act Showcase. I was hoping to come up with a decent picture of the outside of them somewhere on the net. I found a few but there was always something blocking the view.

Summerrain
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Im posting this for one of the board readers:)
He emailed me

Spent some time with Runion in the past. Ask him about being an extra in a movie and having to “shoot” a rubber pistol!

Some br”s that were going when I was:

Lyndel Woods from Jay , OK ,

Donnie Kite from Parsons, KS,

Jack Buttram from Quawpaw , OK ,

I was behind the chutes @ Muskogee the night Terry Gross was killed.

Scotty Fletcher, Don Cook and me hauled together to the NARC Finals in Gallup in ’79 HOO boy!

Also Rickey Lindsey was off the chart!!

From Kent Helms

Green Valley
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
How about some old Bull Flicks from our posters. Most folks have some...Let's Go!!!!!!!

Art
01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Jed I thought that was you remember that run we made from Union, Or to Sisters and back you ,me Zeb and Wes man we were not in good shape when we hit Union on the home strech.

bfan22
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM
A helluva bullrider that you might never have heard of is Willie Thomas. He worked for the Miles Ranch (then right outside Houston, now the land is in the middle of Houston). One week he went to Billy and Johnny Miles and told them he wouldn't be there the following week to brand cattle. They asked where he was going and he told them, "oh, some garden up there in New York." One of the boys asked MADISON SQUARE GARDEN?

bfan22
01-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Oops. Hit enter and the story's not over. Anyway Billy and Johnny tried to talk him out of it. Told him the bulls up there would kill him. Neither knew that Willie had ever even been on a bull. Back then alot of people had never heard of the Colored Cowboy Association. Well, Willie went and came back with a sack full of money. He spurred his bulls in the neck and qualified for the first NFR. Linderman and Tibbs convinced Willie that he would be bad PR for a black man to ride in the first NFR and that he should tell everyone his mother was sick. I saw him and ride at Houston and he placed third. He definitely had the best ride on the best bull and, if he hadn't spurred the bull like a bareback horse, he probably wouldn't have placed. Wish things had been like they are now. I sure would have liked to have seen Willie get the scores and recognition he so richly deserved. Myrtis is credited with opening the door for black cowboys, but I think Willie opened the door for Myrtis. I bet Myrtis remembers him.

Summerrain
01-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Kent Helms sent these to post :)

MARK MOYER, DOUG ABBIATTI,Kent Helms, JD McKEE-NEWKIRK

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/summerrain114/MARKMOYERDOUGABBIATTIMEJDMcKEE-NEWKIRKOK001.jpg

ACRA FINALS

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/summerrain114/ACRAFINALS001.jpg

kik
03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I think Randy Majors ought to be listed again along with Harry Tompkins and Roy Wallace, Carl Nafzger, Dickie Cox, Albert Flynn, Phil Lyne, Jack Ward, and even ole Freddie Fields. How about David Glover? Bet a lot of people dont know how good Phil and Jack were.

Lasso
08-02-2011, 04:12 AM
I know this is an old thread but apparently it's still read but I never saw Roger "Bullman" Midkiff or Mike Henderson from Houston mentioned. Here you will find some old flicks of some you already mentioned and alot more. Follow the link....

Facebook for Belinda Tilger Causey
http://www.facebook.com/belindatilgercausey
Rodeo Flix from the days......
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150171307892478.297343.654717477&l=856c9e20ab&type=1
Roger Midkiff
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150163800457478.295305.654717477&l=a883f5fdc6&type=1

Roger "Bucky" "Bullman" Midkiff
(Deceased-April 12, 1951-October 3,2010)
1994 Arizona Senior Pro Rodeo

Lasso
08-02-2011, 05:40 AM
How about some old Bull Flicks from our posters. Most folks have some...Let's Go!!!!!!!

HERE ARE ALL THE OLD FLICKS YOU CAN HANDLE LOL!

CLICK ON:
MY HEROES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN RODEO COWBOYS
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150171307892478.297343.654717477&l=856c9e20ab&type=1
then go here......

ROUND-UP RODEO SIMONTON,TEXAS
http://www.facebook.com/groups/121239734554474/ (http://www.facebook.com/groups/121239734554474/)
you may have to join to see

Lasso
08-02-2011, 05:51 AM

I have most of these guys pics ,,Bubba Goudeau, Wolf, J.J.(Ricky Ferrell), James Stone...Here is Bubba Goudeau , Wolf (Larry Turner) and Bill Bonner. The arena in Cypress was Gold Mesa that you are thinking of. Owned by Lester Kluge.

Lasso
08-02-2011, 06:07 AM
:winner:Any of you ever know Robert Chambers? HS

Howard,
I knew him well...,may he rest in peace, but you may go here and go down Memory Lane and look at some old pictures of him.

CLICK ON:
MY HEROES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN RODEO COWBOYS

then head over here and there's some more..

ROUND-UP RODEO SIMONTON,TEXAS
http://www.facebook.com/groups/121239734554474/
might have to join group to see

and this is cool

http://youtu.be/2m4Yi08Ne2I

Here are a couple...Bill Bonner and Robert and Bubba Goudeau and Robert

Lasso
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Bernis Johnson
Tex Martin
Casey Tibbs
Jim Miller
Frank Rhoades
Marvin Holmes
Bill Kornell
(Harry Tomkins top 5 of all time)
Ronnie Bowman
Dan Willis
Butch Kirby
Sammie Groves
The toughest guy i ever knew personally was Buck Legrand I was at ft worth once,buck had his hand on the back side of the chute telling a story and one of steiners bulls came in the chute and hooked his hand it took off 3 or 4 fingernails buck just shook his hand and went on telling his story.that's tough

Here is a picture of Bill Kornell-World's Youngest Champion Bullrider-Guinness Book of Records

Dusty Mcneese
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Kilos campos rode with loose rowels could here em whistling. Kent n Kirk Richards went too the neck like bareback horses,Bugs Coe was one of them guys that was hard to throw he was the DA in Kountz Tex there just recent Bill "Elkin" Pondrom would spur one into his hand like u ain't never seen. "bad Brad" Charlie Bradfieild looked outside and spurred everything. Shawn Davis won the S.E. circuit a couple times slow n the chute but would put them turned in spurs deep in they ribs. Bubba Dunn was tough seen him get hooked 3 times by xo9 hard in the chest n the neck while still on his back and some how sit back up ,sounded like stuf was breaking. Church Point LRA. Stu sellers ,Greg Griffin,Greg McManus ,Ronnie Allen,Bobby Lathro,tuff,Lambert ,Storming Norman Curry,Clean Gene Stough,n Ricky Lindsey. Branger Seen Roscoe get fired up mad before the bull riding and he tried to pull the lungs out of his bull Lane Frost I pulled his rope in Bonifay he layed around on the benches before it started ,he was hurting had a broke collar bone rode 17 Farleys Wrangler and won it could barely lift his arm. Just to recall a few. Plus I seen a good portion of these guys ride with halos and or broke backs. Good Stuff just read this thread had to mention some twice.

Brenda Campbell
10-03-2011, 01:56 PM
I wanted to say hello on behalf of my brother Glen Campbell. For all that know him... he is well and living in Indiana. He's not up to speed with the new mode of communication (computer) so if any of you would like to get in touch with him message me and I'll give you his number. He hasn't forgotten the good ol'days, nor any of you. I've truly enjoyed reading the post and looking at the photos...they brought back alot of fond memories and some not so fond...lol. Take care and my thanks to the administrator of this site. Remember...we only get one shot at this life so get a good grip, nod yer head and let'r rip! ;-)

out55law
10-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I remember a couple of guys that were pretty sticky back in the day and that was Lynn Woods of Jay, Ok. and Tommy Crandell of Henrietta, Ok. Lynn's Dad also sold a bull to Dell Hall called O bar that I am sure bullriders remember.

hillside
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I remember a couple of guys that were pretty sticky back in the day and that was Lynn Woods of Jay, Ok. and Tommy Crandell of Henrietta, Ok. Lynn's Dad also sold a bull to Dell Hall called O bar that I am sure bullriders remember.

Did U rodeo with Tri-State Rodeo when they were bucking 0- ( Smoke ) and Lynn & Charley were riding ?

MRA Bulls
10-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Did U rodeo with Tri-State Rodeo when they were bucking 0- ( Smoke ) and Lynn & Charley were riding ?

I did way back when, went to lots of their rodeos and were at a lot of shows that Lynn & Charlie were at.

born2fight
10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
might have missed them , but didnt see Terry Don West or Donald Owens mentioned yet also I am not old enough to have seen him but heard stories of Dale Glory and I liked to watch Mika John Calico and Bubby Baily

EricViers
02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
How about Eddie Rawdon, or Tyson Cobb, or Jerry Beagly. Gotta tell one Joe Gaskin story~~was fighting bulls at Calgary one year, Joe shows up winning the world, gets on a bull that was supposed to turn back to the left or watever and it turned back right and Joe bucked off. He growled at my an asked why I turned that bull back the WRONG WAY an I told him "Joe, I heard U was winning the world an figgured U could ride him no matter which way he went" Real deal was Joe had torn groins so bad he could barely walk let alone keep winning and he didn't win the world that year but he was a great bullrider.

eviers3700@aol.com